Storm Typhoon Gi Review


Introduction

Storm Kimonos produces some striking looking gis, seen on the likes of Renzo Gracie, Andre Galvao, and even GSP on their Facebook. Calling themselves the most comfortable gi in the world, this is one piece that you definitely won't miss on the mats. The guys also tell me they'll be coming up with a new gi design soon that comes with ripstop pants, as well as ladies and children's gis.

Official Specs:
  • Constructed of pre-shrunk light weight 100% cotton fabric – “gold” weave 550gr
  • Jacket designed with a single piece of fabric
  • Treated with a softening agent for ultra comfort
  • Features triple reinforced stitching for durability 
  • Antimicrobial treatment to avoid transmission of fungal diseases 
  • Reinforced knee padding on pants
Aesthetics


The first thing that struck me about the gi was the Storm logo emblazoned across the front of the gi. The logo is embroidered onto the gi, and the silver threads on the blue gi really sparkle out in strong contrast - very eye catching. Depending on your taste preference, this may or may not be a good thing. But if you like cool looking gis like me, it's always great if it has a little flash!


A similarly large logo is embroidered on the right sleeve arm and the left pant leg. Interestingly, the back is plain except for the lightning O from the Storm logo, leaving lots of space for custom patches. The O is repeated again on the right pant leg. Another nice touch is the inside of the sleeve and pant cuffs that sport red reinforcements, a subtle design that makes the gi more interesting.


Overall, it's got a flashy design without spamming the entire gi with patches and logos, leaving room for you to bling it out somemore, should you choose to. 

Again, this gi was not soaked in vinegar or any colour preservation techniques to see how it'd fare after washing, and also as part of my increasing indignance at why gi manufacturers cannot do that for us in the first place. 

Fortunately, I have yet to experience any noticeable fading with the gi after several washes, and neither did the colour rub onto my belt or my partner's gi.


As modelled by Andre Galvao, the typhoon comes in 3 colours, white with red accents, blue with white/silver accents, and black with red accents. On a totally random sidenote, I got promoted to blue while wearing this blue gi. So maybe it comes with a dose of lucky charm too. 

Form & Fit

Storm Kimonos provide a pretty detailed size chart with drawings on their website, complete with metric conversions, so for this once, I'll just direct you there instead for the complete measurements. I've included a simple table for quick reference. 

Height
Weight
Gi Size
5'2-5'5 (~158-165cm)
110-140 lbs (~50-63kg)
A1
5'5-5'9 (~165-175cm)
140-175 lbs (~63-80kg)
A2
5'9-6'1 (~175-185cm)
170-210 lbs (~77-95kg)
A3
6'1-6'4 (~185-193cm)
210-250 lbs (~95-115kg)
A4

Looking at the charts, I stand between an A1 and A2 for my height of 169cm and weight of 61kg. As usual, I tend to sway towards the smaller sizes and swung for an A1. After all, a slightly shorter pant leg is a smaller crime than an overly baggy top, in my opinion.

A pre-shrunk gi, there was barely any shrinkage after washing. Maybe a centimetre here and there, but that was it. The pant leg reached comfortably past my ankles, despite my height being right smack in the middle of the A2 spectrum. While the length is perfect for me, I can't help but wonder if this might be a little long for those who actually are within the A1 height range.


The gi top came out on the baggy side below the armpits, but the length of the sleeves are just right for me. One unusual thing that bothered me initially was the length of the gi top, which extended a good 2-3 hands past my hips. This is unlike most of my other gis which usually stay around 1-2 hands past my hip. While I didn't really noticed it once I started rolling in it, it's something that I find a bit awkward when I first put on the gi.

Here are some pre and post wash measurements.

Gi Top
Sleeve to Sleeve
160cm
158cm
Chest width
60cm
56cm
Gi length (collar to skirt)
83cm
82cm
Arm width (at armpits)
25cm
24cm
Cuff width (at sleeves)
16cm
15cm
Gi Pants
Pant width
49cm
47cm
Pant length
90cm
90cm
Cuff width (at leg)
22cm
22cm

Functionality

Being a goldweave 550gr, this gi isn't as light as some of the summer gis with ripstop pants out there. However, it sure is comfortable! The moment I put this gi on, I was impressed with how soft and smooth it felt. I'd rock this gi without any rashguards underneath despite my sensitive skin.


The gi pants are cotton twill, and feel extremely comfortable as well. It comes with knee paddings on the pants, and it did make a small but noticeable difference in providing a little cushion when kneeling. At the same time, it's only slightly thicker than the rest of the pant material, and does not affect mobility at all.


The pants uses the flat drawstring however, something that I'm not really a fan of, as they tend to get stuck in the pants sometimes after washing and make tightening a tremendous struggle. Given the popularity and practicality of rope and cord drawstrings these days, I do hope they make the update sometime soon. There are only 3 front loops, but each one looks big and sturdy, so I'm not too worried about them coming off.


As mentioned earlier, the gi top is oddly long for me, and takes a slight bit of getting used to. It has no real impact on my BJJ game though, except making it more difficult for the gi to be pulled out for various chokes and holds. The collar is of average thickness, thicker than my Gameness Pearl, and on par with most of my other gis.


The gi pants comes with a little inside pocket, for those who need to put a mouthguard or other small items.


In terms of durability, the gi seems to hold up pretty well for the one month of use. No real visible signs of wear except for a slight fuzzing from multiple washes. The gi is reinforced in all the places it should be with noticeable red material, and the cuffs have quite a wide inner taping compared to other gis I've seen.


Besides being treated with a softening agent, the gi also has anti-bacterial treatment. While I'm not sure how this will factor in a gi and how long it'll last, it's always good to know there's some extra protection against ringworm and the like.

Affordability

The official Storm Typhoon gi retails at US $159 (SGD $206) off their website. This falls under the average price for mid-tier gis, comparable to some of the Keiko, Atama, Vulkan, and Korals, and is slightly more affordable for a good looking gi.

Shipping is an affordable US $16 to Singapore from the website, and should be around the same price for those around the region.

Conclusion

Overall, the Storm Typhoon is one awesome looking gi that's extremely comfortable. If you're looking to invest in a gi that will last and looks good at the same time, the Typhoon might just be what you're looking for.


Disclaimer

All comments in the review are my own personal opinion. Prices provided in brackets are merely for reference and are based on exchange rates at the time of writing. 

If you like this review and found it helpful, please post a comment or let the company or retailer know too. Should you decide to purchase them online, you might want to consult the online buying guide for advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment